BEETROOT AND CHOCOLATE CAKE
Beetroot has been very plentiful and cheap at the market lately, so I took advantage of that to try adapting a recipe I was given many years ago for a Beetroot and Chocolate Cake to a delicious moist gluten free variation.
- 1 cup Butter or substitute (I used a light olive oil spread for the pictured cake)
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups pureed cooked beetroot
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose gluten free flour (I used the Live Free Gluten Free pastry blend)
- 1/3 cup raw cacao (Ceres Organics)
- 2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Grease and flour a fluted ring tin
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add eggs one at a time,beating very well in between
- Add the beetroot and vanilla and beat well. The mixture will appear to separate, but don’t worry, it’s fine.
- Sift in the dry ingredients and beat until well combined.
- Pour into the prepared din and cook for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn onto a cooling rack to completely cool.
- Dust with icing sugar.